Owner Jim Irsay’s commitment to add a wide receiver to the Indianapolis Colts’ recent offseason haul won’t involve Victor Cruz.
“It’s not Cruz, no,’’ Irsay told media Sunday during a break in the owners meetings in Phoenix, Ariz.
It was a weekend of wild speculation among the team’s fan base after Irsay used his Twitter account to reveal the target area for his latest personnel move.
Irsay began cranking out tweets late Saturday night. He stressed that despite spending more than $130 million on the free-agent market last week, the team was close to signing another player.
He then narrowed it down.
“Colt Fans, hint —- it’s a Wide Receiver!!’’ Irsay wrote.
That lit a fire on Twitter as to the identity of that receiver.
At the top of the list was Cruz, the New York Giants’ Pro Bowl receiver.
Irsay debunked that, but reaffirmed his intention to bolster the Colts’ receiving corps.
“We’d like to get another receiver,’’ Irsay told the media Sunday. “Got one targeted.’’
He declined to elaborate and could not be reached for comment.
Possible targets could include Emmanuel Sanders, a restricted free agent with the Pittsburgh Steelers, and Miami’s Davone Bess. Acquiring Sanders would require signing him to an offer sheet. The Steelers would have seven days to match the offer or lose him to the Colts and receive a third-round draft pick as compensation.
Adding Bess would involve a trade with the Dolphins. He’s under contract for 2013 with a base salary of $2.6 million.
The Colts were busy during the first week of free agency. They signed eight players to contracts valued at more than $130 million.
They entered free agency with approximately $43 million in salary-cap space, and used about $30 million of that on their acquisitions.
According to indystar.com