Listen Live Graphics (Indy)
PraiseIndy Featured Video


Photo via WISH Photo/ Kevin Ratermann

13 WTHR Indianapolis

Indianapolis, IN –

A police report from Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department shows that five people ages 17 to 20 were being detained for questioning.

The Marriott Place released a statement about the shooting on Sunday:

“We can confirm there was an incident in our garage that the police are investigating.  It is our understanding this involves a fatality and our thoughts and prayers go out to the deceased and his family.  At this time the police are investigating the incident and we are cooperating fully with the authorities. The police have indicated they believe this to be an isolated incident. As this is an ongoing investigation it would be inappropriate to comment further.

As always, the safety and well-being of our guests and associates are among our highest priorities.”


Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) homicide detectives are investigating the death of a male in the 600 block of West Washington Street.  At 3:03 A.M., IMPD officers were dispatched to the Marriott Hotel parking garage on the report of a person shot.  When they arrived they found a male suffering from an apparent gunshot wound to the back.  Officers provided first-aid care for the male until EMS arrived.  The male was transported to Wishard Hospital where he later died.  The name is being withheld pending notification to his family.

This is an active investigation and detectives urge anyone with information reference this incident to call the police at 317.327.3475 or CRIME STOPPERS at 317.262.TIPS (8477).  Callers can also text “INDYCS” plus tip information to 274627(CRIMES).


Metro police reported few problems during and immediately after Indiana Black Expo Summer Celebration activities.

However, the night was not without violence. Just after 3:00 this morning a juvenile was shot inside the parking garage behind the J.W. Marriott at 601 West Washington Street.

Eyewitness News reporter Richard Essex was on a ride-along with police when the shots were fired.

The 17-year-old shooting victim was taken to the hospital in critical condition and later died from his injuries.

Police had expected a busy night and they had staffed for a big crowd, but the streets of downtown Indianapolis were empty,

In years past, Maryland street would have people shoulder to shoulder, not last night.

Police say they made one arrest during the second Saturday events before midnight, which is a significant decrease from years past.