A Dallas grand jury indicted a police officer for aggravated assault in the fatal shooting of 21-year-old Genevive Dawes in her vehicle, the Guardian reports.
The Guardian reported that Dawes’ mother, Mary Dawes, filed a federal civil rights lawsuit against the officers, police department and the city, which accuses the police of excessive force.
In January, after receiving a suspicious person report, Officers Christopher Hess and Jason Kimpel came across Dawes, a mother of two, and her partner Virgilio Rosales sleeping in a vehicle near downtown Dallas. Unbeknownst to Dawes, the car that she bought legally was actually stolen.
The lawsuit says that she panicked when the officers came toward the Dodge SUV with flashlights. Unaware of what was going on, Dawes reversed the vehicle but crashed into a police car. Officer Hess and Kimpel fired 13 rounds into the vehicle, hitting Dawes four times. She was transported to Baylor Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
Daryl Washington, the family’s lawyer, said that although Hess wasn’t charged with murder, he’s glad that some form of justice was served. “We are happy that there may be some justice in this case because the death of Genevive was definitely preventable,” Washington stated, according to The Guardian.
A lack of accountability for law enforcement officers shooting civilians has garnered a lot of media attention and fuels anger in the Black community. A disproportionate number of unarmed people shot by police have been African-Americans.
On June 16, the officer who fatally shot Philando Castile during a traffic stop in Minnesota last year was found not guilty. In April, 15-year-old unarmed Jordan Edwards was fatally shot by a Balch Springs police officer who was later charged with murder, only after there were inconsistencies discovered in the officer’s account.
Hess is on administrative leave while the department investigates the incident.
31 Black Women Who Died In Police Custody
1. Kathryn Johnston, 92Source:Getty 1 of 26
2. Tarika Wilson, 26Source:Getty 2 of 26
3. Shereese Francis, 30Source:Getty 3 of 26
4. Shantel Davis, 23Source:Getty 4 of 26
5. Alesia Thomas, 35Source:Getty 5 of 26
6. Malissa Williams, 30Source:Getty 6 of 26
7. Darnesha Harris, 17Source:Getty 7 of 26
8. Shelly Frey, 27Source:Getty 8 of 26
9. Miriam Carey, 34Source:Getty 9 of 26
10. Yvette Smith, 47Source:Getty 10 of 26
11. Michelle Cusseaux, 50Source:Getty 11 of 26
12. Aura Rosser, 40Source:Getty 12 of 26
13. Tanisha Anderson, 37Source:Getty 13 of 26
14. Eleanor Bumpurs, 66Source:Getty 14 of 26
15. Natasha McKenna, 37Source:Getty 15 of 26
16. Janisha Fonville, 20Source:Getty 16 of 26
17. Meagan Hockaday, 26Source:Getty 17 of 26
18. Alexia Christian, 25Source:Getty 18 of 26
19. Sandra Bland, 28Source:Getty 19 of 26
20. Gynnya McMillen, 16Source:Getty 20 of 26
21. Symone Marshall, 22Source:Getty 21 of 26
22. Korryn Gaines, 23Source:Getty 22 of 26
23. Deborah Danner, 66Source:Getty 23 of 26
24. Alteria Woods, 21Source:Getty 24 of 26
25. Charleena Lyles, 30Source:Getty 25 of 26
26. Cariann Denise Hithon, 22Source:Getty 26 of 26
Texas Grand Jury Indicts Dallas Cop In Fatal Shooting Of Woman was originally published on newsone.com