WASHINGTON D.C. — November 27th through December 1st is National Tax Security Awareness week and with that the IRS partnered with Security Summit to provide people with a list of tips for staying safe as tax season approaches.
The release from the IRS includes a “Taxes-Security-Together” Checklist for tax professionals with tips including:
– Use multi-factor authentication to protect tax software accounts.
– Use a Virtual Private Network if working remotely.
– Create a written data security plan as required by federal law.
– The IRS also reminds the tax community that the Federal Trade Commission this summer updated their safeguards standards and now requires tax professionals to use multi-factor authentication to protect client information.
– Know about phishing and phone scams, including “spearphishing” schemes where identity thieves pose as new clients in messages to tax professionals.
– Create data security and data theft recovery plans.
The release also mentions the Identity theft / IRS IP PIN program, which allows taxpayers to verify their identities with a PIN number, protecting their identity and tax refund. They also mention:
– The IP PIN is a six-digit code known only to the individual and the IRS. It provides another layer of protection for taxpayers’ Social Security numbers on tax returns.
– You can use the Get an Identity Protection PIN (IP PIN) tool at IRS.gov/ippin to immediately get an IP PIN.
– Never share the IP PIN with anyone but a trusted tax provider.
Small business owners can also find tips for how to file and safely and securely on behalf of your business by reviewing the “Small Business Information Security: The Fundamentals” information provided.
The post IRS And Security Summit Release Tips For National Tax Security Awareness Week appeared first on WIBC 93.1 FM.
IRS And Security Summit Release Tips For National Tax Security Awareness Week was originally published on wibc.com
Hear How A REAL Mayor Is Tackling His City's Violence! Amos' EXCLUSIVE Interview With Memphis Mayor AC Wharton
How did Gospel Artist Tonex Become Gay Activist B-Slade?
8 Signs You Are Under Spiritual Attack
The Praise Indy Report with Thee Rita Green: The Legends of Gospel
7 Bible Verses To Get You Through The School Year
2024 Urban One Honors Celebrates the BEST IN BLACK! ✨
Community Connection Tuesday, February 6th, 2024
Praise Indy Community Calendar