Everybody has their own definition of what success is. It can be defined and measured in many ways. Webster’s dictionary defines success as the achievement of something planned or attempted. Success is best achieve by creating a plan with measurable goals to get you closer to your desired results. Many people often achieve success only to discover upon arrival of their destination they are feel empty or not satisfied. I believe that as a Christian it is important that you include God in your plans to achieve success, not only will you eliminate the feeling of emptiness, but you add to the equation the ability to use your gifts and talents and in the end you will have a much more prosperous journey. 3 John 1:2 states “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.” The prosperity that John is referencing is as if you were going on a journey, and have a road map to get you to your destination. In other words success is not an accident it is intentional. The journey might have some challenges or obstacles but in the end you will get to your destination because you have a plan in place to achieve your goal.
Here are a few scriptures from the book of Proverbs:
We should make plans – counting on God to direct us. – Proverbs 16:9
Plans go wrong with few counselors; many counselors bring success. – Proverbs 15:22
It is dangerous and sinful to rush into the unknown. – Proverbs 19:2
A sensible man watches for problems ahead and prepares to meet them. The simpleton never looks and suffers the consequences. – Proverbs 27:12
Any enterprise is built by wise planning, becomes strong through common sense, and profits wonderfully by keeping abreast of the facts. – Proverbs 24:3-4
Research shows that approximately 95% of us have never written out our goals in life but the 5%, who have written out their goals 95% of the goals were achieved. Yale University conducted a study and discovered that the 3% of the 1953 graduating class had specific written goals for their lives and in 1975 researchers found that the 3% who wrote down there goals had accomplish more than the other 97% combined. Wow, this statistic is startling however, I hope that it inspires you to write down your goals.
Below please find four key points that will help you achieve your goals:
Desire: You must have the longing or the desire to want to achieve the intended goal, otherwise it will be meaningless. Remember that nobody can make you want it. You have to want it bad and more importantly you have to want it more than anyone else. Do or die mentality.
Focus: You need to have laser point concentration. There are going to be so many things that will try and distract you from achieving your goals and to be quite frank they will sound appealing in some cases. May I suggest to you that you need to be radical in your focus if someone say no to you, then that is another opportunity for someone to say yes to you. Also, there are no snow days when you are trying to achieve your goals. Nothing should stop you.
Accountability: Is defined as the willingness to accept responsibility. It is much easier to hold yourself accountable if you had someone in your life to assist you. We often let ourselves off the hook way too easy. If you have an accountability partner you are less likely to slip up and they will be there to help motivate you to achieve your goals. Also, I would encourage you to reward or create consequences if you do not achieve your goals within the desired time frame this should motivate you even more to get results.
Consistency: You will be surprise how much you can achieve by just being consistent. You can begin with something as simple as just showing up. It is okay if you fail or make a mistake just keep getting back up again. The more that you keep going and chipping away you will discover that you have made a lot of movement on your journey to success. Remember it takes 31 days to make a habit so we need to have 31 days of doing something same.
So now our assignment this week is to:
Step 1: Write out what your desires are;
Step 2: Write out your plan with goals to achieve them. That’s focus.
Step 3: Write out how often you’re going to do it. That’s consistency.
Step 4: Contact your accountability partner and discuss your plan. Also write what the rewards and consequences are if you meet or fail to achieve your goals. Ask your accountability to hold you accountable to meet these challenges. Make it fun that way you can create memories that you can laugh about when you look back.