“You just cant miss homecoming at Howard!”
Those were the words spat out by deceased, legendary rapper Notorious B.I.G. who was known to mention the university’s famed event in various songs, and even appeared at a few to perform.
This year’s Howard Homecoming began Monday October 10th and runs through this Saturday with the Yardfest, parade, and stepshow. Expect a bunch of partying by the historic Black university’s students which will probably last into Monday and disrupt some classrooms for professors.
Below are some facts about homecoming and a schedule of some of the events.
Some info can be attributed to bisonhomecoming.com
When did it start? 1924
How many people usually attend? Over 100,000 current students and alumni descend on D.C. for the weekend of festivities.
How long does it last? It is a seven day event but most of the partying and fun is experienced on the opening weekend.
Who are some notable celebrities, educators, and other types who graduated from Howard or received honorary degrees? The list is endless. Just take a look below.
• The late U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Thurgood Marshall
• The first African-American Governor, L. Douglas Wilder
• Nobel Laureate and Pulitzer Prize winning author, Toni Morrison
• Emmy Award winning actress, Phylicia Rashad
• Classical Singer and Diva, Jessye Norman
• Stellar Award winning gospel musician, Richard Smallwood
• Actress, producer and director, Debbie Allen
• The first African-American President of the American College of Surgeons, Dr. LaSalle Leffall, Jr.
• Attorney, Civil Rights Leader and Wall Street Executive, Vernon Jordan, Esq.
• Former Mayor and United Nations Ambassador, Andrew Young
• The first female Mayor of Atlanta, Shirley Franklin
• Oscar nominated actress, Taraji P. Henson
• Actor, from Tyler Perry’s hit show, “House of Payne,” Lance Gross
• Mogul, Sean “Diddy” Combs
• Current Mayor of Atlanta, The Honorable Kasim Reed
• Olympic Bronze Medal winner, David Oliver
• Comedian and Actor, Marlon Wayans
• Actress, Wendy Raquel Robinson
• Media Mogul, Oprah Winfrey
• Actor, Hill Harper
• Comedian/Actor, Anthony Anderson
• Actress, Paula Jai Parker
• Grammy Award-Winning Singer, Roberta Flack
• Acclaimed R&B Singer/Songwriter Angela Winbush
• The late Grammy Award Winner Donny Hathaway
When does the parade start? 10 a.m.
Where is the best place to stand? Banneker Park
Howard Homecoming 2011: The People, History, And Events was originally published on newsone.com