I consider it a blessing to have been raised by a mother who has worked in the nonprofit sector for over 35 years. She started out as a Vista Volunteer for United Way in Norfolk, Virginia and has managed to work her way up to Senior VP of Community Engagement and Alignment for United Way of the Mid-South. I saw her dedication to her job, but also her dedication to the community. The desire to serve the community has also been passed down to my sister, who also decided to enter the nonprofit sector as an accountant.
Must Read: 4 Tips To Getting A Job Via Social Media
Whatever your reasoning may be to take a position, or consider taking a position, with a nonprofit company, there are many benefits to reaching for success in a career that also allows you to reach out.
Five Benefits of Working in the Nonprofit Sector:
1) Purpose and Fulfillment. A common trait of women working within the nonprofit sector is their desire to work in an industry and for an organization that fulfills them and further accentuates their purpose. As most nonprofits work directly related to a mission or mantra centered on giving and assisting those within the community, these jobs add value to the working woman in the nonprofit sector.
2) Extensive experience with budgeting. Many nonprofit organizations exist and operate strictly within budgetary constraints. Working within this sector allows its employees to work hands-on with developing and allocating budgets successfully.
3) Better Work/Life Balance. As opposed to those within the private sector, many professionals have enjoyed a better and more flexible work/life balance. This is important for those working women with children and/or other family members who may need more assistance, as well as the nonprofit executive who prefers to spend her evenings on personal hobbies as opposed to being in an office.
4) Giving Back. Making a contribution to society, while making a living is a definite plus. Not only will you be able to edify your community or cause, you will be able to pay your bills while working for a cause dear to your heart.
5) Experience with Other Cultures. There are numerous organizations that deal with missions and causes for other cultures and countries. The experience garnered from working with foreign focused/based organizations will not only give you experience with a giving organization, you will also become privy to new cultural experiences as well.
Rashida Maples, Esq. is Founder and Managing Partner of J. Maples & Associates (www.jmaplesandassociates.com). She has practiced Entertainment, Real Estate and Small Business Law for 9 years, handling both transactional and litigation matters. Her clients include R&B Artists Bilal and Olivia, NFL Superstar Ray Lewis, Fashion Powerhouse Harlem’s Fashion Row and Hirschfeld Properties, LLC.
Check Out This Video Of Necole Bitchie Explaining How She Got Her Success!
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook!
Check Out This Gallery Of #Teambeautiful’s Women In The Workplace Event!
Leaning In While Reaching Out: 5 Benefits Of Working In The Nonprofit Sector was originally published on hellobeautiful.com