On Sunday, Anthony Hervey, a 49-year-old Black man from Oxford, Mississippi known for supporting the state Confederate flag, was killed in a car accident.
Hervey’s 2005 Ford Explorer turned over on Mississippi Highway 6 in Lafayette Country, resulting in his death, NBC reports. Officials are investigating the crash itself, but have not confirmed if they are taking a closer look at another alleged detail courtesy of Arlene Barnum, the vehicle owner and passenger in the car.
Barnum told reporters the accident was caused after Hervey swerved to avoid colliding with a group of young men who appeared to be yelling and angry. Barnum said she isn’t sure if the group followed the vehicle from Birmingham, Alabama, but Hervey yelled something back before his car flipped over.
“It spun like crazy and we flipped and flipped and flipped. It was awful,” Barnum said.
She and Hervey were returning from Birmingham after attending a rally to keep the Linn Park Confederate Monument intact, a symbol that leaders in the city just voted to remove. Hervey was also known for dressing in Confederate regalia around town, holding and waving the rebel flag.
During a 2001 interview with the AP, Hervey said, “This is not racism. This is my heritage.”
His devotion to this part of history was a controversial act of pride to many but, according to Hervey, he was living out a mission to honor his Black ancestors who fought in the Civil War.
SOURCE: NBC | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty | VIDEO SOURCE: NDN
One Year Later: See The Protests Dedicated To Eric Garner
1. July 2014Source:Getty 1 of 14
2. August 2014Source:Getty 2 of 14
3. December 2014Source:Getty 3 of 14
4. August 2014Source:Getty 4 of 14
5. October 2014Source:Getty 5 of 14
6. November 2014Source:Getty 6 of 14
7. December 2014Source:Getty 7 of 14
8. December 2014Source:Getty 8 of 14
9. December 2014Source:Getty 9 of 14
10. December 2014Source:Getty 10 of 14
11. December 2014Source:Getty 11 of 14
12. December 2014Source:Getty 12 of 14
13. December 2014Source:Getty 13 of 14
14. April 2015Source:Getty 14 of 14
Self-Proclaimed Black Confederate Supporter Anthony Hervey Dies In Car Accident was originally published on newsone.com