Leave a comment

Witness Jessica Sestili describes the attacks in Paris which has left many people dead.

UPDATED: Saturday, November 14, 2015 8:00 AM EST

The Islamic State claimed responsibility for attacks across Paris that killed 127 and injured dozens, Reuters reports.

In what officials are calling the worst attack on the storied city since World War II, gunmen killed 87 people at the Bataclan theater, where an American band was playing. Another 40 plus were killed in five other attacks across Paris that included an “apparent double suicide bombing” near the Stade de France national stadium.

President Francois Hollande, who called the attacks an act of war against France, was attending a game at the stadium when the explosion occurred.

 Hollande said the attacks had been organized from abroad by Islamic State with internal help. “Faced with war, the country must take appropriate action,” he said after an emergency meeting of security chiefs. He also announced three days of national mourning.

Former president Nicolas Sarkozy added in a statement: “The war we must wage should be total.” During a visit to Vienna, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said “we are witnessing a kind of medieval and modern fascism at the same time.”

In its claim of responsibility, Islamic State said the attacks were a response to France’s campaign against its fighters. It also distributed an undated video in which a militant said France would not live peacefully as long it took part in U.S.-led bombing raids against them.

“As long as you keep bombing you will not live in peace. You will even fear traveling to the market,” said a bearded Arabic-speaking militant, flanked by other fighters.

The attacks, Reuters reports, lasted about 40 minutes. Seven assailants died from explosive belts and an eighth was killed by police.

We’ll keep you updated with the latest.

———————-

FRANCE-ATTACKS-PARIS

Source: DOMINIQUE FAGET / Getty

UPDATED: Friday, November 13, 2015 5:50 PM EST

In a somber address, President Obama vowed to work with French officials to bring “terrorist networks to justice.”

“We stand together with the people of France. This is an attack not just on Paris. This is an attack on all of humanity and the values that we share,” Obama said.

The president did not confirm who might be responsible for the attacks, saying that he did not want to speculate.

We’ll keep you updated with the latest.

———————-

Multiple people were killed in attacks across Paris Friday night.

While French police have yet to confirm the number of dead, Reuters reports that 35 people were killed in shootouts in the central part of the city. At least 100 hostages are being held in Bataclan theater.

French President Francois Hollande and his interior minister were reportedly at a nearby soccer stadium where an explosion was heard during the attacks.

//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

He was said to be rushing back to the interior ministry to discuss the unfolding violence.

From the NY Daily News:

Hostages have also been taken at the Bataclan concert hall, police told Agence France-Presse, where a sold-out rock concert was underway.

Approximately 60 were inside the hall, watching an Eagles of Death Metal show, FR24 reported.

Two people opened fire at the Le Carillon bar, while another shot up the Cambodge restaurant in the city’s 10th district, according to French media cited by the BBC.

The shootings happened along Rue de la Fontaine au roi, Rue de Charonne and Rue Bataclan, Le  Figaro reported.

This is an active situation. We will keep you updated with the latest.

SOURCE: ReutersNY Daily News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty

ISIS Claims Responsibility For Paris Attacks That Left 127 Dead, Hundreds Injured was originally published on newsone.com

Also On AM 1310: The Light:
comments – add yours
×