Moderate physical activity is safe for most people. But it’s always a good idea to talk to your doctor before becoming more active, especially if you haven’t been very active or have health problems.
If you’re ready to add more physical activity to your life, here are some tips to get you started:
- Make physical activity part of your regular day, just like brushing your teeth or going to work.
- Use the stairs more often.
- Walk to do errands near home.
- Bike to work at least once a week.
- Start walking. Walking is a great fitness activity. To keep up a routine, you can walk with family members, friends, coworkers, or pets. Keeping track of your steps with a step counter or pedometer can help motivate you to walk more.
- Schedule your activity for times that you’re likely to keep doing it. If you don’t have time for one 30-minute walk, break it up into three 10-minute walks.
- Find a partner. This can make exercising more fun.
- Consider joining a health club if that will help you make activity a part of your routine. Or visit a community center that offers fitness activities.
- Find an activity that you enjoy, and stay with it. Vary it with other activities so you don’t get bored.
What exercise program are you using?
Make sure you are following @Elev8official for stories like this and more. For more from Oretha Winston follow her on twitter here.