The House voted to defund Planned Parenthood in Virginia Tuesday despite women’s rights advocates protesting on the Capitol grounds and the House chamber, reports 13NEWS NOW..
From 13NEWS NOW:
On a 60-33 party-line vote, the House approved HB 2264, which would cut off federal Title X funding for Planned Parenthood and any other groups that perform abortions in Virginia. Without the funding, the organization says it would have to shut its five clinics in the state.
About a dozen protesters lined the sidewalk at Capitol Square on Tuesday morning as legislators walked from the General Assembly Building to the state Capitol. They held signs declaring “I Stand with Planned Parenthood” and “Stop the War on Virginia Women.”
Later, wearing T-shirts that spelled out “We are watching,” the demonstrators sat in the first row of the gallery overlooking the House floor to urge delegates to vote against the bill. The protesters represented such groups as Progress Virginia, NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia, the Virginia Latina Advocacy Network, the Virginia Civic Engagement Table and Planned Parenthood Advocates of Virginia.
The defunding effort — which is coming on multiple fronts — is also part of a growing debate about repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act created during former president Barack Obama’s administration, reports CBS News.
20 Pics Of Celebrities Protesting (PHOTOS)
1. Kanye West joined Russell Simmons for the Occupy Wall Street protests.1 of 19
2. Jay Z and the Brooklyn Nets stand in solidarity with Eric Garner.2 of 19
3. Dave Chappelle posed with his hands up for Mike Brown on the red carpet.3 of 19
4. J. Cole joined the protests in Ferguson after Mike Brown’s death.4 of 19
5. Q-Tip joined the Mike Brown protests in New York.5 of 19
6. Beyonce and Jay Z supported Trayvon Martin’s parents after his death.6 of 19
7. Russell Brand joined the Occupy Wall Street protests.7 of 19
8. Not only did Lupe Fiasco join the OWS protest, but he named a song after it.8 of 19
9. Mark Ruffalo joined the human climate campaign.9 of 19
10. Russell Simmons was joined by Katy Perry and Russell Brand during OWS.10 of 19
11. Jay Leno protested the Brunei Hotels in Beverly Hills.11 of 19
12. Susan Sarandon joined OWS protests.12 of 19
13. Al Sharpton always gets his voice out to the masses during times of protest.13 of 19
14. Rev Run, Minister Benjamin Chavez Muhammad, and Alicia Keys at the Mobilization for Education Hip-Hop Summit Action Network’s protest of Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s proposed education budget cuts.14 of 19
15. Anne Hathaway protested at Union Square for the Occupy Wall Street campaign with her boyfriend Adam Shulman.15 of 19
16. Actor Sean Penn and Reverend Jesse Jackson marched with activists during an anti-war rally.16 of 19
17. Spokesperson Hayden Panettiere at a conference for her Save the Whales campaign.17 of 19
18. John Lennon and Yoko Ono staged a ‘bed-in for peace’ and intended to stay in bed for seven days as a protest against war and violence in the world.18 of 19
19. Chris Brown, Wale, Nelly and a few more celebs posed with their hands up in support of Mike Brown.19 of 19
House Defunds Planned Parenthood In Virginia Despite Protests was originally published on newsone.com