UPDATED: Tuesday, July 26, 10:45 PM EST:
A beaming Bill Clinton, the nation’s 42nd president, took the stage just after 10 P.M. to rousing applause at the Democratic National Convention at Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to endorse his wife Hillary Clinton for president.
He delivered a powerful speech that started with the couple’s first days at Yale University, to their courtship, to marriage, to motherhood, to her early work as an advocate in civil rights as a young lawyer at the Children’s Defense Fund and in Arkansas.
He talked about the tenuous relationship between African Americans and police and said that Clinton could help make things better.
Then the seasoned political speaker brought crowd to its feet when he congratulated delegates for making history by officially nominating Hillary Clinton, the first woman, for president.
“She is the best darn change maker I have ever known,” he said near the close of the nearly 50 minute speech. “You could drop her in any trouble spot, come back in a month and some how some way, she will have made it better. That is just the way she is.”
This is a developing story…
Twitter Is Lit After Bill Clinton’s Rousing Speech At The DNC
1. Shonda RhimesSource: 1 of 17
2. Hillary ClintonSource: 2 of 17
3. Yvette Nicole BrownSource: 3 of 17
4. Kerry WashingtonSource: 4 of 17
5. Joy ReidSource: 5 of 17
6. Jamil SmithSource: 6 of 17
7. Sabrina SiddiquiSource: 7 of 17
8. Roland MartinSource: 8 of 17
9. Yamiche AlcindorSource: 9 of 17
10. Uma PemmarajuSource: 10 of 17
11. Blake EnglishSource: 11 of 17
12. Sarah ThyreSource: 12 of 17
13. Arianna HuffingtonSource: 13 of 17
14. Jerry NadlerSource: 14 of 17
15. Tracie ThomsSource: 15 of 17
16. Uzo AdubaSource: 16 of 17
Bill Clinton, the 42nd president of the United States, will stump for the role of “First Gentleman” on Tuesday, taking the Democratic National Convention stage in Philadelphia to give what most assume will be one of the biggest speeches of his political career – an impassioned plea to vote for his wife, former Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton.
The Clintons, one of the longest couples to reign over American politics spanning the last 30 years, have remained united through personal and political turmoil. From the start of their relationship, they’ve supported each other’s goals and aspirations – including his run from governor to the presidency, and her climb as Senator of New York to head of the State Department, and now presumed Democratic presidential nominee.
Clinton will definitely further the narrative of Monday night’s keynote speeches, given by First Lady Michelle Obama and Sen. Bernie Sanders, both of whom sought to persuade the public that Hillary has the perfect temperament, experience, and political foresight to hold the office of commander-in-chief. As one of the great political minds, Clinton will do his best to articulate the platform laid out by Hillary after a year and a half of campaigning.
But before Clinton takes the stage, the Mothers of the Movement will make an emotional plea in their public endorsement of Clinton, a candidate they believe will take action on gun control and excessive police force, especially in light of the recent shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile.
The group is made up of seven Black women who lost their children during deadly police or community vigilante encounters, including Sybrina Fulton, mother of Trayvon Martin, Lezley McSpadden, mother of Michael Brown, Geneva Reed-Veal, mother of Sandra Bland, and Gwen Carr, mother of Eric Garner.
In a Tuesday interview with Robin Roberts on Good Morning America, the women said they hope their appearance will place accountability on the shoulders of lawmakers to pass resolutions on gun control and de-escalation tactics for law enforcement.
SOURCE: ABC News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Hillary Clinton & Her Famous Friends
1. Hillary Clinton With Lupita Nyong'oSource:Getty 1 of 13
2. Hillary Clinton With Kareem Abdul JabbarSource:Getty 2 of 13
3. Hillary Clinton With Lenny KravitzSource:Getty 3 of 13
4. Hillary Clinton With The Royal FamilySource:Getty 4 of 13
5. Hillary Clinton With Anna Wintour And Michael KorsSource:Getty 5 of 13
6. Hillary Clinton With Robert DeNiroSource:Getty 6 of 13
7. Hillary Clinton With Bette MidlerSource:Getty 7 of 13
8. Hillary Clinton With Elton JohnSource:Getty 8 of 13
9. Hillary Clinton With Harrison FordSource:Getty 9 of 13
10. Hillary Clinton With Meryl StreepSource:Getty 10 of 13
11. Hillary Clinton With Paul McCartneySource:Getty 11 of 13
12. Hillary Clinton With Oscar de la Renta and Antonio BanderasSource:Getty 12 of 13
13. Hillary Clinton With Chris ColferSource:Getty 13 of 13
Bill Clinton Humanizes Hillary In Powerful DNC Speech was originally published on newsone.com